Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembering

"Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave—just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:25 - 28 (NIV)

There are many scriptures that talk about the value of sacrifice, the laying down of our lives for another or others. Today is our day to remember those in our families, cities, counties, states, countries, who have laid down their lives for us.

This is one thing that has always fascinated me about men in particular. I mean really. Just as I sit here drinking coffee and writing this little blurb.....years ago, men in my family and others woke up, drank coffee, and heard or read something that caused them to say "sign me up" to serve.

Today I'll remember those I know of in my family:

My father, Douglas Brown, enlisted in the Air Force when he was 17 or 18. He was stationed in England in the late 40's/early 50's, but was never involved in armed conflict.

My uncle, Mike O'Brien, was a career Coast Guard Officer.

My uncle Steve O'Brien served in the U.S. Army in Vietnam and upon returning, served in the Reserves.

My brother, Dale Brown, enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps and served for 3 years.

My cousin Erin's husband, Brent Orr, is a full time captain in the North Carolina Army National Guard and an Apache helicopter pilot, and has served in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The ability to step up, serve, risk and possibly give one's life for a greater good, so that others might live, certainly portrays a picture that Christ himself painted for the disciples. The vast majority of those who have served and do serve in our armed forces do not hold positions of great authority or power, but nevertheless have served with their lives, in an "everyday" kind of way, so that the rest of us may live with the many freedoms we enjoy today.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Cathy. Thank you Jesus, for Cathy. I deploy again in 90 days.
MAJ Brent Orr