Friday, February 23, 2007

Ruthie

If you live in Edmonton, if you are a fan of gospel and/or the blue, and if you did not go see Ruthie Foster and her band at the Citadel today (or rather yesterday - it's late!), then you missed the boat, let me tell you.

They rocked. And I mean ROCKED.

Although Ruthie sings a variety of different styles -- gospel, blues, country-ish, folk, raggae -- personally, my favorites were in the gospel & blues arena. And I have to admit, particularly in the gospel area. As I listened to her sing "Walk On" and "Woke Up This Mornin", I felt certain I would be hearing these tunes again in heaven. But it was nice to experience a little bit of heaven on earth tonight. Her first encore song was a rendition of "Old Susannah" that brought the theatre to a complete silence with Ruthie's simple, pure voice accompanied by the guitar, taking a delicate tone.

I saw Ruthie on "Austin City Limits" on Detroit Public Television a few years ago - I heard this voice coming out of the television, and wondered who had such a heavenly voice. I remembered her name, and when I saw she was coming to Edmonton, had to get tickets. She was even better in person than I remembered her on television. Just incredible.

Ruthie's stories are completely engaging and give the audience insight into the source of her song-writing. As well, Ruthie doesn't seem to be caught off-guard by anything, including mishaps on the stage, handling all with a personal charm.

The all-female band was a phenomenal backup. Stephanie Blue (don't think I'll ever forget this name) played awesome organ and synth, Ruthie's cousin (sorry -- Stephanie's name is stuck in my head) provided flawless bass, and I don't remember the drummer's name, but I was completely enthralled with her talent and obvious passion for the music.

www.ruthiefoster.com

If I could do it all over again.....well, sign me up! Thank you, God, for this evening of uplifting and beautiful music, as well as good fellowship and catching up with Dawn-Marie.

2 comments:

KingJaymz said...

I envy you. It has been years since I have gone to a concert. I'll have to make sure I catch someone this year!

Sounds like a good time. Austin City Limits surprises some times, doesn't it? Sometimes, you wonder how these people got the notion that they have talent, and others you wonder why you've never heard of them before.

kanadians in korea said...

i am so sorry you lost your aunt ellie, kathy. it's so hard to comprehend death, but so reassuring when we know we'll one day see our loved ones again. i love u, em.