Wednesday, June 29, 2005

WOW (Word on Wednesday)

"I am not casual!"

The Lord spoke to me tonight. The study was on Revelation 1.

"I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone "like a son of man, dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance. "
Revelation 1:12-16 (NIV)

As we were asked to close our eyes and think about Jesus in the context of Revelation 1, I felt Jesus sit beside me. Obviously, I had asked him to comfort me and sit beside me as my friend. I think that some of the imagery in Revelation is frightening -- and this description of Jesus is so far away from the descriptions of Jesus throughout the gospels.

I enjoy my image of Jesus as my "hippie, flower-child" friend -- and I believe He is that when it is appropriate. I probably seek that alot when my behavior leads to me beating myself up, or when I get the feeling of being out-ranked or under-dressed, etc. At those times, I need to remember that Jesus could look alot like me if I met Him on the street today and that I can feel comfortable talking to Him. I get complacent sometimes with this image.

But that does not define Him. "I am not casual." I was so intrigued by these words that were whispered in my year, that I looked up the word "casual" on dictionary.com. Check it out:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=casual

After reading it, I am sure you will agree that Jesus is anything BUT casual. That word was very carefully chosen by Him tonight. Some of the words from the definitions there are: irregular, infrequent, occasional, offhand, superficial, nonchalant, lenient, permissive, not close, passing. There are some others that are more ambiguous. But these are the prevelant words, and Jesus is none of these. Indeed . . .

He is regular.
He is frequent.
He is constant.
He is planned.
He is in-depth.
He is attentive.
He is clear.
He is diligent.
He is close.
He is faithful.

He is NOT casual. Tonight I was reminded of Jesus as King of all Kings. And that I would like to be right with my boss while there is still time.

No comments: